Tuesday, July 9, 2024

Day 40

Day 40 Another hot day today, up to 97*. We did a ride down the Ice Fields Parkway to Sunwapta Falls before turning back and doing a short hike to Buck Lake. We did not see much in wildlife, just a deer and an elk. We also saw the eagles as we went down to Maligne Lake and then back to the motel. We booked a boat trip to Spirit Island. Thursday is our travel day to Banff, and it is supposed to be cloudy that day. I booked the 0900 trip so hopefully the light will be good enough for some good images. After the boat ride we will continue towards Banff and hit the different waterfalls (if cloudy) on our way.


 Buck Lake

Athabasca Falls

Athabasca Falls

Sunwapta Falls

As I ride, and I spend a lot of time in the saddle, I think of a lot of different things. Sometimes it happens when we get something to eat, but often times it is something from on the road.  The problem is I often forget what I was thinking about when I go to write this blog.  But I have remembered a few things.

Passing. There are a few things or phenomenon about passing. Passing vehicles and vehicles passing you. But first a little history of our riding. When we started out riding, when I went to pass a vehicle, Rene' would stiffen up, and you can feel it in the bike. She might say "oooh", or MARRRRK!!!!". Now she is saying "your clear" and every once in a while I think I hear a "weeeee".  Now for the passing observations. I find that many times, or it seems most of the time, I go to pass a vehicle , they all of a sudden have a need for speed. I spent some time following this guy in a pickup truck. This was in Utah, and he would go slow then speed up and slow down. I was in a line of traffic and each car that went to pass him in a passing lane, only one car could get  past him. Obviously he would speed up. When it came my turn to pass in a passing lane, he accelerates, and so do I. I had to take it up to 101MPH to get by him. He had to have taken it up to 95. This is just one goofy guy, most tend to speed up when you try to pass. Two other incidents where the operator was fluctuating their speed from below the limit to the limit who when we get to a passing lane, they both accelerated to a much higher speed then they were previously traveling. They were both old, I mean older then me ladies.

The other observation mainly involves when you are traveling in a two lane roadway. When both lanes are for the same direction of travel. Also happens in sections where there is a passing lane that becomes available. The passing vehicle will race up to you then slow and ride right on your side as you approach slower traffic, they have you trapped.

I mean no offense in this last observation. I went to the men's room and I noticed on the door the sign that said "Men's" and also on the sign was braille, I assume said "Men's". I notice at elevators the same thing. I know a blind person can navigate the hallways, maybe needing assistance finding where the men's room might be or the elevator. But how does he/she find the placard that has the braille message. Are they at standard heights or locations for elevators or restrooms. I will say the ability to navigate the way they can in darkness is an amazing feat.  





No comments:

Post a Comment

Wildfires

  Wildfires. We were lucky we did not encounter an wildfires except for the heavy smoke in Fairbanks from a wildfire. The day we left the D...