Saturday, June 1, 2024

Day 02

 We started out the day riding in the rain and that lasted a few hours. Things started to clear and the ride became much more enjoyable. The route in the GPS  had us going all over the place. Part of that may have been me resisting to go the way it wanted us to go. I am familiar with the route because we have taken it before. The GPS apparently knew that Route 60 was closed at a certain point. So the GPS appears to have important routing information and using that information to reroute us from our planned route. I still don't trust the GPS.

At one of our stops we met a couple who travel to gold shows. Who knew they actually had gold shows. Brian was his name and he is also a singer. He had some of the gold he and his friends had found, mostly using a metal detector. He had huge nuggets, and this one piece that he valued at $125000.00 which I held in my hand. If you know me you know I have gold fever. Brian offered me the ability  to detect on one of his claims in Arizona.  I would love to take him up on the offer.

We did make it to Springfield, MO and after settling in went to Best Buy. I found a gaming laptop that should work for me. The issue now is to load all the required software. Hotel wifi is metered and one program, "app" for you non old folk, took about 3 hours to load. So it could take me a week to load all the programs. Being these first four or five days is just travel time, there isn't much opportunity for video or photos.

We head to Dodge City, KS tomorrow.  I think around 400 miles. The weather will start out nice. As we approach Dodge City we could run into some thunderstorms. The storms are supposed to start firing up at about 3:00 pm. This part of the trip is long boring straight roads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wildfires

  Wildfires. We were lucky we did not encounter an wildfires except for the heavy smoke in Fairbanks from a wildfire. The day we left the D...