Sunday, June 2, 2024

Day 03

 The ride started out good, but again the GPS was having a ball taking us everywhere except towards where we needed to go. US 400 would take us straight to Dodge City but the GPS had us on it, off it and at one point when I got off US 400 to see if the Yoder's Community was open, it wasn't so I go right back on. This apparently upset the little demon inside the GPS and instead of going another 50 something miles on US 400 as it was before I got off, it had me get off a few miles down the road and do a 45 mile square loop to get right back on US 400. At our next stop, I looked at a real paper map and saw US 400 goes right to Dodge City. So I just ignored all the extra turns it wanted me to do. I will say the GPS started alerting me to a severe thunderstorm and tornado watches, which would have been on our route to Dodge City. Except those would not occur until much later in the day.

Like I mentioned in the last post, we were expected to start out in good weather and head into bad weather. About an hour into the ride the skies started to look a little menacing, and it was getting a little more menacing, then not so menacing. By about 3 to 4 hours into our all over Kansas ride the sky was clear and stayed that way all the way into Dodge City. We got in a little after 5:00 pm, at 8:45 pm no rain or thunderstorm, but we have the warnings of a sever thunderstorm.

Riding the plains is a little boring, straight roads and mostly flat lands with a few hills. Many fields and wind farms. A few oil wells too.

This is the first post on the new laptop. Still trying to get the needed software downloaded to process the media I hope to get.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wildfires

  Wildfires. We were lucky we did not encounter an wildfires except for the heavy smoke in Fairbanks from a wildfire. The day we left the D...